Osteoporosis is a disease that weakens bones. It is estimated 54 million Americans suffer with this condition. (Site: National Osteoporosis Foundation)Osteoporosis is often called a “silent” disease because one cannot feel bones weakening. Reports have shown one in two women and up to one in four men age 50+ will break a bone due to osteoporosis. Common broken bones are the hip, spine, and wrist.
Southlake Orthopaedics’ Osteoporosis Clinic is a dedicated service addressing bone health care and education for the primary and secondary prevention of bone loss. Lauren Bannon, PA, Osteoporosis Specialist, under the direction of Dr. Chris Heck, develops treatment plans to reduce the fracture risk, quicken healing, prevent later fractures and break the brittleness cycle you often encounter dealing with the condition of osteoporosis.
You may benefit from a bone health visit if any of the following apply to YOU:
- You are a man or woman over age 50
- You are a postmenopausal woman
- You are a man with low testosterone
- You are an adult who has been treated for breast or prostate cancer
- You have lost height, developed a hunched posture
- You have sudden back pain with no apparent cause
- You have taken steroids such as prednisone or cortisone for 2 months or longer
- You have a family history of osteoporosis
- You have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Kidney Disease or COPD
If you have questions about our Osteoporosis Clinic or would like to schedule an appointment with Lauren Bannon, Osteoporosis Specialist, call (205) 985.4111.